Sunday, May 20, 2007

5 Favorite Local Festivals

1. Chinese New Year. It is such a joyous occasion, full of loud Chinese music, good food and tidbits, and gatherings with friends and family... It's a time to return to traditions, wearing the auspicious red, getting "ang pows" (red packets with money), saying nice things, and avoiding quarrels...

2. Dumpling Festival. My mom makes the biggest, and most delicious "zong zi" (rice dumplings). She puts a lot of work into it, and the result is fantastic! I can eat my mom's "zong zi" for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

3. Moon Cake Festival. I don't really like to eat the traditional moon-cakes, but don't mind the ice-cream moon-cakes! However, I like the sight of little kids carrying lanterns of different animal designs, and parading under the full moon. I like other foods we eat during this festival, like the pomegranate, and baby yams.

4. Hari Raya Puasa. This is the Malay New Year. I used to live near some Malay neighbors, and when Hari Raya came around, they would invite us to their home to eat delicious Malay delicacies. The curry, and stuff were good. The cakes were even more delicious!

5. Deepavali - The Festival of Lights. This is a Hindu Festival. Used to live near some Indian neighbors too. Used to get invited to their houses when Deepavali came around too. There was usually a lot of curry, but again, I liked the tidbits the best - those round spiky muruku!

No comments: